Dr. Efthymios (Makis) Avgerinos is certified by the European Board of Vascular Surgery (FEBVS). He earned his medical degree from the University of Thessaly Medical School, and his PhD from the University of Athens in Greece. He then completed his residency in the Department of Vascular Surgery, University of Athens, Greece, as well as two clinical fellowships at King’s Hospital, London, UK and in Stadtische Kliniken, Frankfurt, Germany. Dr. Avgerinos has authored or co-authored more than 110 peer reviewed publications and chapters on vascular surgery and his work has been widely cited and recognized with international awards. He has served on the Executive Councils of the European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS), European Union of Medical Specialties (UEMS), and International Society for Vascular Surgery.
Education & Training
- MD, University of Thesally, Greece
- PhD, University of Athens, Greece
- MSc, Endovascular Surgery, University of Athens, Greece & University of Milan, Italy
- General Surgery Residency, Asklepieion Voulas Hospital, Athens, Greece
- General Surgery Residency, King’s, Hospital, London, UK
- Vascular Surgery Residency, Stadtische Kliniken, Frankfurt, Germany
- Vascular Surgery Residency, University of Athens, Greece
- Vascular Surgery Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh
Dr. Avgerinos' publications can be reviewed through PubMed.
Research, Clinical, and/or Academic Interests
- Carotid artery disease
- Critical limb ischemia
- Venous disease and pulmonary embolism interventions